Alternativa Platform - I found this cool game/misc 3D Flash engine just now...

I tried some of the demos and they're really nice. Especially the Bunker demo.
I'm actually in search of a good platform-independant game development medium at the moment and this looks promising...
One of the cool things I noticed about it; when you move the view with the mouse, it kinda goes into a simple render mode where the textures don't have buffering (just pixelated) which helps performance greatly. Then when you stand still it goes back into high quality only when the view stays still.
Another feature I noticed, when you first launch the demo game, it loads basic low quality textures as placeholders and then dynamically loads the full quality textures in the background while you're playing. That's cool for playing faster without waiting for huge downloads to finish first.

I don't know, I'm considering developing a game that's playable within a browser, so when OpenPandora is released, my game will be playable on it too.

You can go ahead and click that screenshot of the Bunker demo to try it yourself... It's just a small area you can walk around in, but it's nice to see for yourself.

0 Replies: