Today I was poking around with the idea of installing something other than Ångström on an OpenPandora. There are a few nice candidates I ran across:

  • Maemo - This was one a lot of people over at the OpenPandora Forums post talking about Maemo on the pandora. Seems the discussion came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worthwhile to try very hard to port Maemo over to work on the pandora, even though there is a new version of Maemo coming out soon, which will use much less closed-source applications and will support ARM architechture as well as OMAP3 (which OpenPandora uses)... All in all, it's by far the closest match.

  • Ubuntu MID Edition - This one had me a little bit excited at first, but then I realised it was designed for x86 architechture so it wouldn't work on a pandora. BUT! I love the fact that it's made by the people who make Ubuntu. They have released Ubuntu 9.04, which supports the ARM CPU, so that gives me hope when it comes to them porting MID Edition over to the ARM architechture... Anyway, this would be my dream OS for a pandora, for a couple reasons:
    1. It supports Adobe Flash.
    (But I know it can't be supported even if ported to ARM because the Adobe Flash package isn't open source, so it wouldn't be able to be ported over itself) But you know what that means, Alternativa-made games would work on it. :D
    2. It supports Java.
    Not just JavaScript, but actual Sun Microsystems Java. That is something Maemo doesn't have, AFAIK.
    3. It's Ubuntu.
    So you get all the support and applications that Ubuntu does, because of the large repositories. You also get the steady updates and the friendly community forums they have.
    In my personal opinion, if I flipped open any screen and saw that desktop glowing back at me, that would just be the icing on the cake. Even though, I'm only listing ALL of the OSs I would want to see on a UMPC, this one has got to be, by far, my favorite so far.
  • Moblin - This one is actually being developed by Intel, but it's open-source, which is kind of surprising. Sadly, it only supports Intel ATOM CPUs (obviously, since Intel is making it) which means not ARM or others.
    Here is an intro video they made talking about it's features... Looks really sleek and comfortable to use. Well, that's about all for today. See you tomorrow!

0 Replies: